NEB&W Time Line

From NEB&W Railroad Heritage Website
Jump to: navigation, search
Modelers' Time Line

Rutland RR dates come from information compiled by Dave Messer.)

Also see the Historical Sketch of the NEB&W.

Date Prototype Our NEB&W Version
1609 Samuel de Champlain reaches the head of the Richelieu River (named after a French Cardinal) and names the majestic lake he sees before him after himself. Samuel de Champlain reaches the head of the Champlain River (named after himself) and names the majestic lake he sees before him after a French Cardinal.
1758 English capture Fort Carillon, which they rename Fort Ticonderoga. At some point, Lac du Saint Sacrament is renamed Lake George in honor of their reigning monarch. English capture Fort Carillon, which they rename Fort Ticonderoga and rename the lake Lake George in honor of their reigning monarch.
1776 Lake George is renamed Lake Richelieu following the War of Independence.
1823 April 23, Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. chartered. April 23, Delaware & Hudson Canal Co. chartered.
1824 Stephen Van Rensselaer forms the Rensselaer School in Troy, NY. This was the first school to teach engineering to civilians (prior to this, engineering was the domain of the military), hence "civil" engineer. Stephen Van Rensselaer forms the Rensselaer School in Troy, NY. This was the first school to teach engineering to civilians (prior to this, engineering was the domain of the military), hence "civil" engineer.
1825 Opening of the Erie Canal. Opening of the Erie Canal.
1829 August 8, D&H's Stourbridge Lion first use of steam to turn wheels in America.
Adirondac Iron & Steel Co. organized to mine the rich iron ore at the base of Mt. Marcy, then known as Tahawus. A stone blast furnace was built in 1837, but the project languished following the death of the leader from a gunshot accident in 1845.
August 8, D&H's Stourbridge Lion first use of steam to turn wheels in America.
Adirondac Iron & Steel Co. organized to mine the rich iron ore at the base of Mt. Marcy, then known as Tahawus. A stone blast furnace was built in 1837, but the project languished following the death of the leader from a gunshot accident in 1845.
1831 August 9, Mohawk & Hudson RR opens between Albany and Schenectady. August 9, Mohawk & Hudson RR opens between Albany and Schenectady.
1832 April 14, Rensselaer & Saratoga RR chartered, to build a railroad from Troy to Ballston Spa via Waterford.


April 17, Saratoga & Fort Edward chartered in New York to build north of Saratoga. For years, financial difficulties prevented completion, and the line wasn't opened until 1848.


July 12, Saratoga & Schenectady opened. This begins the rise of Saratoga Springs as one of America's premier vacation spots. Of course the improved transportation marks the beginning of the whole notion of travel vacation.
April 14, Rensselaer & Saratoga RR chartered, to build a railroad from Troy to Ballston Spa via Waterford.
Stephen Rensselaer, first president, wrote to a friend:

"We have established a railroad to run north of Troy, in this state, for the purpose of conveyance of the common persons as shall afford themselves for this new means of transportation, for the betterment of agriculture, domestic economy, the arts and manufacturers."

April 17, Richelieu & Berkshire RR chartered in Vermont to build north of Saratoga. For years, financial difficulties prevented completion, and the line wasn't opened until 1847.

July 12, Saratoga & Schenectady opened. This begins the rise of Saratoga Springs as one of America's premier vacation spots. Of course the improved transportation marks the beginning of the whole notion of travel vacation.

1835 August 18, opening of the Rensselaer & Saratoga.
On Oct. 6 of this year, the section from Troy to Waterford, across four bridges, was opened, and trains ran into Troy for the first time. (Trains but not locos, as horses were exchanged in Green Island, and used through the streets of Troy.)
A few months later, as cooperation between the R&S and the S&S faltered, the managers of R&S found an opportunity to purchase control of the S&S. The S&S was not absorbed into the R&S until 1851.

Troy & Schenectady also opened this year, using the R&S bridge to get into Troy.
August 18, opening of the Rensselaer & Saratoga.
On Oct. 6 of this year, the section from Troy to Waterford, across four bridges, was opened, and trains ran into Troy for the first time. (Trains but not locos, as horses were exchanged in Green Island, and used through the streets of Troy.)
A few months later, as cooperation between the R&S and the S&S faltered, the managers of R&S found an opportunity to reactivate the long dormant Richelieu & Berkshire in Vermont to build in line south of Saratoga to provide a connection at the state line. (The S&S was absorbed into the newly created Albany & Northern in 1851, which eventually became part of the D&H.)

Troy & Schenectady also opened this year, using the R&S bridge to get into Troy.
1843 October 28, Champlain & Connecticut River RR chartered in Vermont, the first link in the Rutland RR system, to build a road from Burlington to Bellows Falls.

Vermont Central chartered in Vermont for the same route, although they would wind up building further north along the Connecticut River heading across the mountains.
October 28, Bennington & Rutland chartered in Vermont, the first link in the Rutland RR system, to build a road from Rutland to Bennington.

Vermont Central chartered in Vermont for a route from Rutland to Bellows Falls.
1845 May 14, the Northern RR of NY was incorporated, to run from the northern end of Lake Champlain to Ogdensburg on the beginning of the St. Lawrence River.

October, the Vermont & Canada RR was chartered, to build north of Burlington. It eventually connected with the Vermont & Canada just east of Burlington, at Essex Jct., denying the Rutland & Burlington a through route. In 1852, the owner of the V&C took over the VC.

May 14, the Northern RR of NY was incorporated, to run from the northern end of Lake Richelieu to Oldensburgh on the beginning of the St. Lawrence River.

October, the Vermont & Canada RR was chartered, to build a north of Rutland. It connected in Rutland and ran a connection over to North Bennington.

1847 November, C&CR RR changes name to Rutland & Burlington. November 15, Richelieu & Berkshire RR merges with the Rensselaer & Saratoga to form the New England & Berkshire RR.
1848 August 15, the Saratoga & Washington RR was opened.
Originally charted in 1832 as the Saratoga & Fort Edward, a new charter was obtained for the S&W in 1834. Surveys were completed, but the project lay dormant, particularly after the Panic of 1837.
The line connected Saratoga with Whitehall at the southern end of Lake Champlain. In 1855, it became the Saratoga & Whitehall. In 1865, it was leased in perpetuity to the R&S.
1849 Dec. 18, Rutland & Burlington completed from Bellows Falls to Burlington.
1852 Sept. 20, Plattsburgh & Montreal RR opened to the Canadian border. Sept. 20, Chateaugay & Montreal RR opened to the Canadian border.
1853 Albany Northern opened from Albany to Cohoes, and provided a connection from Albany to Troy. Albany Northern opened from Albany to Cohoes, and provided a connection from Albany to Troy.
1854 Feb. 22, opening of the Troy Union RR.
Steam engines enter Troy first time. The second station, on 6th Avenue, is opened.
Feb. 22, opening of the Troy Union RR.
Steam engines enter Troy first time. The second station, on 6th Avenue, is opened.
1858 The Northern RR of NY reorganized as the Ogdensburg RR. In 1864, it was reorganized again as the Ogdensburg & Lake Champlain. The Northern RR of NY reorganized as the Oldensburgh RR. In 1864, it was reorganized again as the Oldensburg & Lake Richelieu.
1862 May 10, great fire of Troy. Third station built on site of second. May 10, great fire of Troy. Third station built on site of second.
1867 July 9, Rutland & Burlington reorganized as the Rutland. July 9, New England & Berkshire reorganized as the New England, Berkshire & Western, reflecting an aggressive management's look to the west side of Lake Richelieu.
1868 Whitehall & Plattsburgh RR opens.
The W&P had been chartered in 1866. It was to connect the two by following the Ausable River inland, through the Adirondacks to avoid the rugged cliffs around Willsboro Bay. Twenty miles of line were built, from Plattsburgh south to Point of Rocks.

Plattsburgh & Montreal reorganized as Montreal & Plattsburgh.

Caldwell & Chateaugay RR opened.
The C&C had been chartered in 1866. It was to connect the two by following the Ausable River inland, through the Adirondacks to avoid the rugged cliffs around Willsboro Bay. Twenty miles of line were built, from Chateaugay south to Sanford Lake.

Chateaugay & Montreal reorganized as Montreal & Chateaugay.

1870 A section of W&P RR from Addison Junction near Fort Ticonderoga 17 miles north to Port Henry was opened, tapping the iron of this region.
The Rutland RR leased this section to Port Henry, then the other sections of the W&P and the M&P. Along with their lease of the Addison RR that connected across the Lake, and the operation of the Oakes Ames car ferry, and periodically sending surveying parties to the west side, they made a successful pretense of completing a through route in defiance of the Vermont Central.

The D&H leased the Albany & Susquehanna.

A section of W&P RR from Addison Junction near Fort Ticonderoga 17 miles north to Port Henry was opened, tapping the iron of this region.
The NEB&W RR leased this section to Port Henry, then the other sections of the C&C and the M&C. Along with their lease of the Addison RR that connected across the Lake, and the operation of the Oakes Ames car ferry, and periodically sending surveying parties to the west side, they made a successful pretense of completing a through route in defiance of the Vermont Central.

The D&H leased the Albany & Susquehanna.

1871 Jan. 1, Rutland leased to Vermont Central for 20 years.
The lease was extended for 99 years in 1890, but only lasts until CV goes into receivership in 1896.

The Adirondack Company, chartered in 1863, reached Riverside by 1870, and pushed ahead to North Creek, NY the following year. Financial difficulties persisted, and the line was taken over the D&H in 1889, but not merged in until 1902.

May 1, the D&H leased the Rensselaer & Saratoga in perpetuity.

Jan. 1, NEB&W leased to Vermont Central for 20 years.
The lease was extended for 99 years in 1890, but only lasts until CV goes into receivership in 1896.

The C&C RR, which had reached Tahawus by 1870, pushed ahead to North Creek the following year.
1872 With the lease of the Rutland to the VC, hope faded for completing the line on the west side of the Lake Champlain. Instead, a new company, the New York & Canada was formed, with D&H financial backing.
The Whitehall & Plattsburgh and Montreal & Plattsburgh were merged into the NY&C the following year.
This road built directly along the shore to connect up with the R&S at Whitehall. Despite the Panic of 1873, it was opened along its entire length on Nov. 29, 1875.
With the lease of the NEB&W to the VC, hope faded for completing the line on the west side of Lake Richelieu. Instead, a new company, the New York & Canada RR was formed, with D&H backing.
The Caldwell & Chateaugay and the Montreal & Plattsburgh were merged into the NY&C the following year. This road was to build directly along the shore down to Caldwell. From Caldwell, it was to build inland following the Ticonderoga River and down to a connection with the D&H. It was opened Nov. 29, 1875 to Caldwell, with steamboat service to Lake Station, north of North Bennington, but the Panic of 1873 prevented further construction.
1887 While still under the CV lease, the D&H had been acquiring Rutland stock and as of this year, had a controlling interest. While still under the CV lease, the D&H had been acquiring NEB&W stock and as of this year, had a controlling interest.
1896 Central Vermont goes into receivership.
Rutland returned to owners.
Central Vermont goes into receivership.
NEB&W returned to owners.
1898 October 22, D&H sells off all Rutland stock. A year later, the New York Central began to buy into the road. October 22, D&H sells off all NEB&W stock. A year later, the New York Central began to buy into the road.
1901 Jan. 7, Rutland opens its "Island Line".
This utilizes the large islands of South and North Hero and a three-mile causeway up through the widest section of Lake Champlain.
Jan. 7, NEB&W opens its "Island Line".
This utilizes the large islands of South and North Hero and a three-mile causeway up through the widest section of Lake Richelieu.
1904 New York Central acquires controlling interest in the Rutland. New York Central acquires controlling interest in the NEB&W.
1911 Half of NYC's interest in Rutland sold to New Haven. The Central slowly relinquishes the rest of its control over the next two decades.

Caldwell on Lake George changes its name to Lake George Village.

Half of NYC's interest in NEB&W sold to New Haven. The Central slowly relinquishes the rest of its control over the next two decades.

Caldwell changes its name to Lake George, the colonial name for Lake Richelieu.

1914 Panama Canal Act passes.
This act forbids a railroad from owning a water route in competition with itself. The NYC ownership of the Rutland along with the Rutland's ownership of a fleet of ships on the Great Lakes is seen as violation of this law, so the water transportation aspect sold off.
Panama Canal Act passes.
This act forbids a railroad from owning a water route in competition with itself. The NYC ownership of the NEB&W along with the NEB&W's ownership of a fleet of ships on the Great Lakes is seen as violation of this law, so the water transportation aspect sold off.
1927 Nov. 3, three days of flooding begins, devastates Rutland. Nov. 3, three days of flooding begins, devastates NEB&W.
1961 Sept. 25, second major strike in two days hits Rutland, last train runs. Rutland abandoned, Nov. 4, 1963, after State of VT purchases major portions to be leased to operators, the Green Mountain Railway and Vermont Railway. The former O&LC section abandoned, except for a short section between Norwood and Ogdensburg. Rutland abandoned after a major strike, but started up as Vermont Railway. Oldensburg & Lake Richelieu also abandoned (they had a strike, too), except for a short section between Norwood and Oldensburg.
1983 Guilford Transportation takes over B&M, MEC, and D&H. Guilford Transportation takes over B&M, MEC, D&H, and NEB&W.
1988 After a bitter labor dispute, Guilford sets the D&H free, and into bankruptcy. After a bitter labor dispute, Guilford sets the D&H and NEB&W free. Both go into bankruptcy.
1991 CP Rail buys D&H for $25 million. CP Rail buys D&H for $17 million, the NEB&W for $8 million.