NEB&W Guide to Port Henry, NY
From NEB&W Railroad Heritage Website
- 1 Overview
- 2 History of the Port Henry Iron Industry
- 3 Original Road
- 4 St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
- 5 Ore Trestle
- 6 Generator Room
- 7 Pink Gothic-Revival House
- 8 Sherwin-Witherbee Offices/Town Hall
- 9 White House
- 10 LC&M Waiting Shelter
- 11 Overhead Bridge Crane
- 12 Depot
- 13 Goodrich Garage & REA Building
- 14 West Side of Rt. 22
- 15 Little Warehouse
- 16 Freight House
- 17 Roundhouse
- 18 Tool House
- 19 The Blast Furnaces & Plant
- 20 New Turntable
- 21 Culvert
- 22 House Across From Scale House
- 23 The Slag Field
- 24 Port Henry Operations
- 25 Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad
- 26 Port Henry, Not Modeled
- Wood engraving, c. 1889, looking north, showing the ore trestle complex and the former wagon road that preceded the railroad.
- The wagon road came down to lake side on a steep grade. In 1914, the railroad overpass was removed (and the D&H took a lot of photos to document this).
- See this section.
- Wood ore trestle complex as seen from the north end, c. 1920. Prototype photo from the Witherbee-Sherman Free Library Collection.
- The trestling originally ran all the way to the furnace.
- At some point after 1920, the wood trestle was rebuilt as steel. The only photos we have to this just show a glimpse.
- There was a tiny structure on the crest of the hill, which I thought was a powerhouse of some sort. The concrete block construction would seem to date it to the 1920's when the rest of the plant was constructed.
- Jim Breeyear said his father was an electrician for the ore company in Port Henry and he used to refer to the "powerhouse" as the "generator room". Jim believes it was used for conditioning the power that was used to run either or both the overhead crane and the electric mule engine. There may have been several AC to DC generators in that building because his father used to say that the whine of the generators used to put him to sleep while on duty. Melanie Sembrat said it was just torn down (2005).
- View of the station from a top the concrete ore trestle remains, c. 1974. The ornate Mansard-roofed red building was the Witherbee-Sherman headquarters, now the town hall. The line to the mine ran just behind.
- To the east of the office/town hall was a Gothic Revival house, no. 20. It was painted pink with white trim, at least in the '50's and later. The Alphonse house. Foreman for the D&H track gang in the 1940's. See this section for more info.
LC&M Waiting Shelter
- The LC&M tracks crossed over Rt. 22. There was a waiting shelter right there for any passengers. The shelter was torn down in 1936. The bridge was removed in 1993 because of clearance issues.
- Interesting enough, regular passenger service was discontinued way back in 1885, although irregular service continued, in mixed train service. There was a car, no. 3, which while looking like a cupola-less four-wheel bobber caboose, was listed as their only coach in '38, downgraded to just a caboose by '40.
See this section.
See this section.
Goodrich Garage & REA Building
- Behind the depot was a Goodrich garage and a small Railway Express building (on the right) that looked like a small house. Notice all the graceful elms. The crossing of the LC&M over Rt. 22 can be seen to the left.
West Side of Rt. 22
- Looking west behind the depot, with the REA building to the right.
- Looking west behind the depot, there was a little warehouse on the left (with a sign that simply says "Warehouse"), tucked in again the embankment of Rt. 22.
- The freight house was a simple board and batten structure with an ornate rectangular bay at the north end.
- Looking from the other end. C. 1940's view looking north. The roundhouse is on the left, with the freight house obscuring most of the depot.
- A similar view as a D&H train heads south.
- The unknown photographer turned around (he was standing on the pedestrian bridge over the tracks) to catch the train passing under him. Notice the unusual drainage ditch alongside the tracks and the turntable in the distance.
- A shot as the train passes further south.
- A similar angle, c. 1960's.
- The roundhouse was a standard D&H brick one, three stalls. When the turntable was enlarged from 50 to 65 feet, it didn't fit, so it was moved somewhat south. From that point on, there were just plain tracks going into the roundhouse. By the '40's, the west most stall was bricked up.
- For more information, see the Whitehall roundhouse section.
- John Wallace is scratchbuilding a model of it.
- The D&H had a long tool house located just south of the roundhouse.
The Blast Furnaces & Plant
- History of the Port Henry Iron Industry
- Overhead Traveling Crane
- The "Modern" Plant
- Blower & Generator Houses
- Pedestrian Bridge
- Electric Mule
- Sinter Plant
- Warehouse/Diesel Shop
- Scale House
- On The Layout
- As D&H locos got bigger, the 50-foot turntable in front of the roundhouse was moved south where there was more room (for a 65-foot table). It can be seen just to the lower left in the above photo.
- The culvert under the road down by the turntable.
House Across From Scale House
- There was a modest house at the south end of the overall scene.
- An NEB&W freight passes by the south end of the Republic Steel blast furnace complex. Brian Albrecht built the cast-resin kit for the Delaware & Hudson composite hopper. Al Wood modified an Athearn gondola to model a Wabash gon.
- By the '60's, if not a decade or two earlier, all that was left of the plant was the concrete ore trestle.
- See this section.
Port Henry Operations
- D&H report as to one day's operations of their switcher in 1942, 8 AM - 4 PM.
- Freight traffic for the whole of 1951 by carload.
Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad
- See this section.